August

DSC_2909

August

It is August
and there is
a sliver of breath
inside the sill.

The deep breath of autumn
is, I think, a matter of time;
perhaps only in the memory
of the child anxious
for the world of new books
to open.

Anxious for the toys
of summer to be put aside
to make space
for new thoughts.

An old lady now
but still waiting with anticipation
for the long, dark nights
to be filled with time.

It is necessary.
It will take an entire season
to adjust mind, body and soul
to a new way of thinking. . . .
about who I was

and now who I am.

August 14, 2014
Art by Claudia Hallissey

About Veronica Hallissey

Veronica Hallissey has been writing since the 1960s, with her poetry published in a variety of small press magazines. Born into a farm family in Lockport, NY, and educated at the University of Buffalo and other midwest institutions, she brings and unusual point-of-view to her poetry, combining strong natural images with a deep spiritual language. She lives in St. Johns, FL.

Enter your email address and receive an update every time I post!

10 Responses to August

1. Veronica Hallissey August 18, 2014 at 4:02 pm #

Thank you for the gentle challenge to “to a new way of thinking. . .
    about who I was
    and now who I am.”

Regards, Linnea

2. Veronica Hallissey August 18, 2014 at 4:12 pm #

From e mails to me. . . .as above from Linnea, I appreciate the comments especially when new technology makes it simpler and I am given permission to use those comments. New and different thinking is always a challenge. Especially when we must give thought to our mortality. Leading, I hope, always to thoughts on our immortality.

3. maria wulf August 25, 2014 at 11:38 pm #

I so admire your willingness to change and the opportunity to think about yourself differently.

4. Pat Evans August 26, 2014 at 12:13 pm #

…..’still waiting with anticipation, to fill the long dark nights’ and more. Your continuing quiet optimism about the future and your understanding of it….is affirming

5. Veronica Hallissey August 27, 2014 at 2:53 pm #

Maria, if we are the same at the end of our lives as in the beginning, then we have not been good students. And this lifetime has been a free ride.

6. Veronica Hallissey August 27, 2014 at 2:55 pm #

Pat, there is so much to learn. Everything teaches but we must be alert to the lessons. Thank you for commenting. Comments are also lessons for me.

• Pat Evans August 27, 2014 at 10:19 pm #

I do try to listen well ….and learn. I also try to be aware of the serendipity of events/moments/people colliding…or not. If I pay attention to all of that, I learn….too.

7. jacquelyncampbell September 1, 2014 at 3:58 pm #

Beautiful, Veronica. Thank you!

8. Pat Evans September 1, 2014 at 6:22 pm #

‘a sliver of breath inside the sill’. ….love that image! Autumn is coming, mostly just outside the window.

9. Pat Evans September 1, 2014 at 11:21 pm #

You cannot be 80 plus….b/c attitudinally you are a much younger lady. Truly, you are an inspiration to all of us!